The eco-friendly way to say farewell, our Biodegradable Bamboo 6-Point Coffin is individually crafted by hand using sustainably produced bamboo. Available to the public and ships free within the continental USA, this is an elegant, affordable, and earth-friendly final resting place to return your loved one to earth.
The words "coffin" and "casket" are pretty much interchangeable, "coffin" being the older term and "casket" the more common contemporary one. We call this a "coffin" because of the classic 6-point shape generally associated with the old-school tapered shape that widens for the shoulders and narrows for the feet. There is no functional difference, it's simply a matter of look and style.
You can use our biodegradable bamboo coffins/caskets for the funeral or memorial service followed by a natural ground burial or cremation. A full-length lid is included with each bamboo coffin, and you may also choose to add a 3/4 lenth top to allow viewing of the body during the service or a private family visitation. There are no metal components in the casket or burial shroud (add on item), so everything is suitable for cremation or natural ground burial.
The Six-Point Bamboo Coffin boasts strong corners that embrace the elegance of the original coffin shape. The interior is lined with natural unbleached cotton, matching pillow and privacy shield. Sturdy handles and a rigid biodegradable base provides strength for ease of transportation. Available in two sizes, 5' 9" or the larger 6' 5". These casket sizes are designed for individuals up to 5'9" or 6'5" in height, respectively.
- Woven by hand from sustainable and eco-friendly bamboo
- 100% natural, biodegradable, and eco-friendly
- Rigid base and six sturdy carrying handles
- Tested to carry a weight of up to 350 lbs
- Lined with natural cotton and includes matching pillow and privacy shield
Casket sizes and dimensions
- 5' 9" size inside dimensions: 70"L x 20"W x 12"H
- 5' 9" size outside dimensions: 72"L x 23.25"W x 14.25"H
- 6' 5" size inside dimensions: 77"L x 24"W x 13"H
- 6' 5" size outside dimensions: 79.5"L x 26"W x 15.5"H
Shipping & delivery
- Free delivery to any address in the continental USA
- Choose shipment to your home or to the funeral home/cemetery
- Please allow up to 5 business days for delivery
- Expedited shipping can be arranged, call 877-900-5309
- Please note that rush shipments can be expensive since this is a large item, and delivery times cannot be 100% guaranteed
- Casket comes in two sizes, for individuals up to 5'9" tall or 6'5" tall
- Includes matching full-length lid, optional 3/4 length viewing lid
- Optional burial shroud to wrap the body - see details below
- You can personalize the casket with an 8"x5" or 12"x3" engraved bamboo plaque
- Plaque includes up to 3 lines of text, 40 characters max per line, choice of 5 fonts
Shroud options and details
- Natural, eco-friendly bamboo, which is a highly sustainable resource
- Available in two sizes, large and XL
- Large: Approx. 112” long x 73” wide (ideal for just about anyone)
- X-Large: Approx. 118” long x 78” wide (designed for individuals well over 6'5")
- Available with carrying handles or without
- See usage suggestions below
Shroud use suggestions
- Shroud is ideal for natural burial with no casket - handles are recommended to help carry the body.
- Shroud is recommended (but not necessary) for burial with casket - no handles needed, as the casket will be carried and already has handles.
- Shroud is recommended for burial with willow carrier - no handles needed, as the willow carrier has handles and is designed for this function.
- Shroud is not necessary for cremation when casket is used
- Shroud can be used for cremation with a willow carrier - no handles needed
- Shroud can be used for cremation with no casket/carrier - handles recommended to help carry.
- "Large" size burial shroud works for most people. The XL size is for people significantly taller than 6'5".
- For burial shroud only, see here.
- Our eco-friendly caskets are crafted by skilled weavers as a small cottage industry, not in factories. They are created from sustainable materials such as fast-growing willow, seagrass or bamboo which don’t require heavy machinery for harvesting, giving these funeral products a small carbon footprint. Burial of these eco-friendly coffins also help reduce your own carbon footprint, as most caskets you find at the funeral home feature metal components and/or heavy chemical finishes. This Bamboo Casket is certified Fair Trade by Traidcraft, and must meet stringent standards which include:
- Create opportunities for the economically disadvantaged.
- Pay our permanent, full-time workers in excess of 30% above local recommended wages to ensure a good living wage.
- Do not use child or forced labor.
- Ensure approximately 50% of the labor force is women.