Much of our culture's social interaction is done online, through social media and other websites. So it makes sense to create a memorial website for your loved one. There are many ways you can easily create a memorial website for free, and these are useful as a way to communicate details about an upcoming funeral or life celebration service, as a safe and separate place for mourners to express love, grief, and condolences, and to honor their memory in perpetuity.
There are so many websites which allow you to do this largely for free, and since this is something which, once set up, will probably remain and be utilized for some time, it's worth comparing the different features of each memorial site to determine which will best suit your family's needs.
Browse the complete list below to compare individual free and paid features. But first, if you have a particular element that is a deciding factor, here are our top choices for these categories:
Best Memorial Sites by Feature
Best free memorial website for clean, elegant design: Ever Loved
Best free memorial website for beautiful templace choices: ForeverMissed.com
Best free memorial website for easy setup: Ever Loved
Best free memorial website for accepting charitable donations: MuchLoved.com
Best free memorial website for large photo galleries: Never-Gone.com
Best free memorial website for incorporating YouTube videos: Imorial.com
Best free memorial website for customizing design: Last-Memories.com
Best free memorial website for free-forever features: Never-Gone.com
Best free memorial website for visitor interaction: MuchLoved.com
Best free memorial website for one-click Facebook login: ForeverMissed.com
Best free memorial website for sharing funeral/event info: Imorial.com
Wonderful Life (now "Ever Loved") is a newer entrant in the free memorial website scene, and it is very clean, simple, easy to use. Not much as far as design personalization, as they only have one theme, but it is elegant and again, easy to use. A real winner.
- Memorial website
- Funeral/memorial invitations
- Time, address, and other details for the funeral
- Photo, birthday, and other key information
Stand-out component: Ability to raise donations for the charity of your choice in honor of your loved one.
3rd party reviews: 4.9/5 on Review Centre. Based on seven somewhat older reviews (from 2008-2010).
- Simple 5-step setup process which anyone can easily complete
- Personalized url address
- Over 100 templates from which to choose
- Unlimited pages for writing biographical info, condolences, and more
- Choose private or public visibility
- Blog and/or diary functions, which can be set to public or private
- Upload photos, videos, and music
- Perpetuity memorial site kept online as long as you want
- Accept donations to the charity of your choice
- Storage above the 100 MB limit
Stand-out component: Clean and elegant designs which are completely ad-free
3rd party reviews: 5/5 on Review Centre. Based on six reviews (from 2010-2013).
- No advertisements
- Easy 3-step setup can be completed by anyone
- Personalized url address
- Share biography, stories, condolences, and more
- Many clean, elegant designs (18 at last count)
- Email notifications when others share content
- Choose private of public visibility
- Choose background music
- 3 photo upload maximum
- Unlimited photos
- Unlimited HD videos
- Upload your his/her favorite songs
Stand-out components: The "groups" feature helps you connect with others in similar circumstances. Also, YouTube video importing is supported.
Bonus: Special pet memorial section allows you to create a memorial website specifically for your pet.
- Easy 3-step setup process, no technical knowledge required
- Personalized memorial url web address
- Choose from a variety of themes
- Display photo and 6 additional gallery photos
- Import YouTube videos
- Post comments, share memories, and send invitations
- Many condolence actions available, including Raise a Flag, Dedicate a Song, Give Gifts, and more
- iPhone & Blackberry ready
- Ad-free experience
- Privacy options
- Up to 600 photos in gallery
- Add or upload music
Stand-out component: Ability to customize your design by uploading custom banner images, menu graphic style, text and design colors, and more.
Bonus: The "Family Tree" feature allows you to construct a detailed family tree with links to each family member's page.
- Personalized url makes memorial website easy to find
- 500 MB storage capacity
- Unlimited photo uploads
- Unlimited audio and video uploads
- Custom graphics and design template
- Construct a detailed Family Tree
- Ability to Live Chat with family & friends visiting site
- Add YouTube videos
- Embed Flash objects
- Accept memorial donations
- Remove advertisements
Stand-out component: Forever-free memorial website with unlimited features and functionality.
Bonus: Creation of "Tribute Video", a slideshow video with music that you can easily make and download from your photo galleries.
- Unlimited photo and video galleries, sortable into albums
- Special honorary indicators for members of police, military, and more
- Memorial linking with family, friends, and/or other memorial pages
- Biographical details presented in a "storybook" with chapters
- Use of broad music library, or upload your own
- Many available design themes
- Sharing and subsciption options so anyone can stay up-to-date
- Visitors can post condolences, tributes, and stories
- Personalized custom memorial website url
- Complete privacy and security controls