Much of our culture's social interaction is done online, through social media and other websites. So it makes sense to create a memorial website for your loved one. There are many ways you can easily create a memorial website for free, and these are useful as a way to communicate details about an upcoming funeral or life celebration service, as a safe and separate place for mourners to express love, grief, and condolences, and to honor their memory in perpetuity.
There are so many websites which allow you to do this largely for free, and since this is something which, once set up, will probably remain and be utilized for some time, it's worth comparing the different features of each memorial site to determine which will best suit your family's needs.
Browse the complete list below to compare individual free and paid features. But first, if you have a particular element that is a deciding factor, here are our top choices for these categories:
Best Memorial Sites by Feature
Best free memorial website for clean, elegant design: Ever Loved
Best free memorial website for beautiful template choices: ForeverMissed.com
Best free memorial website for accepting charitable donations: MuchLoved.com
Best free memorial website for visitor interaction: MuchLoved.com
WonderfulLife.com (now Ever Loved)
Wonderful Life (now "Ever Loved") is a newer entrant in the free memorial website scene, and it is very clean, simple, easy to use. Not much as far as design personalization, as they only have one theme, but it is elegant and again, easy to use. A real winner.
- Memorial website
- Funeral/memorial invitations
- Time, address, and other details for the funeral
- Photo, birthday, and other key information
Stand-out component: Ability to raise donations for the charity of your choice in honor of your loved one.
3rd party reviews: 4.9/5 on Review Centre. Based on seven somewhat older reviews (from 2008-2010).
- Simple 5-step setup process which anyone can easily complete
- Personalized url address
- Over 100 templates from which to choose
- Unlimited pages for writing biographical info, condolences, and more
- Choose private or public visibility
- Blog and/or diary functions, which can be set to public or private
- Upload photos, videos, and music
- Perpetuity memorial site kept online as long as you want
- Accept donations to the charity of your choice
- Storage above the 100 MB limit
Stand-out component: Clean and elegant designs which are completely ad-free
3rd party reviews: 5/5 on Review Centre. Based on six reviews (from 2010-2013).
- No advertisements
- Easy 3-step setup can be completed by anyone
- Personalized url address
- Share biography, stories, condolences, and more
- Many clean, elegant designs (18 at last count)
- Email notifications when others share content
- Choose private of public visibility
- Choose background music
- 3 photo upload maximum
- Unlimited photos
- Unlimited HD videos
- Upload your his/her favorite songs